The revising process was (and continues to be) slow and steady. While the semester comes to a close and Easter break approaches, it was not always easy to find long periods of time to revise as much as I would have liked to. Instead, I found smaller increments of time over the last week to rearrange my ideas and address the comments from my peers and instructors.
As of now, I am trying to work from general ideas to more specific conclusions throughout my project. It is quite difficult to do this because, throughout the first draft, I would often lead-in with a sentence about the schools themselves. The peer review and instructor feedback helped me to realize that I should begin with a general idea and then work my way inward. I am also frustrated with revising my thesis and introduction to match with my conclusion. I am not yet at the point where I can switch them and have a cohesive paper, so there is still more work ahead for my narrative.
After adding a large portion of my revisions, it admittedly felt great to observe all of the progress that I made since when the first draft was due. I found myself omitting certain paragraphs to make room for more pertinent ideas. In addition, I reframed many of my introductory sentences to be less wordy. This topic sentence exercise allowed me to better break up my ideas and unpack more interpretations from the students and scholars of the time. My main goal is for my project to reflect a fluid and concise story from the 1960s to today.
Professor Shermer told us many times that editing and revising takes up more time than writing the paper itself. I can now attest to this fact. Likewise, I learn how each draft comes with even more revisions. This whole process opened my eyes to the importance of knowing your own writing style and your areas of improvement. Revising a twenty-page paper is no small task, but my detail-oriented work ethic is ready for the challenges ahead.